Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas and Bislama (for a while)

A late Merry Christmas to you all. We had a wonderful day yesterday- my Uncle Jeff (Mom's brother) and Aunt Terry came to visit and Mohamed cooked a delicious Moroccan-style turkey. Mohamed was happy to have meat, again, and has been gnawing on various turkey bones all day.

I made Amira a doll for Christmas. Yep, I sewed. It is a Waldorf doll (google it if you are interested, they're pretty great) and since the dolls retail for $140 I decided to make my own. It turned out really well, thanks to a lot of help from a friend, but I'm not dying to make another one in the near future. We took pictures of the doll, and the rest of our Christmas happenings, but our camera is on the fritz. Alas, another post without pictures of my girls.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling. I spent the entire day today shopping- quite the exhausting task with two little ones in tow. I think, including my purchases today, we now have presents for every inhabitant of Mohamed's village in Morocco. That is only a very slight exaggeration. In 36 hours we will be on our way to deliver those presents.

So, on that note, I will be taking a break from blogging. We leave the 28th and I will be returning, with the girls, on February 4th. Mohamed is coming back January 15th, he couldn't get more than 2 weeks off work.

We are terribly excited. Mohamed's parents have not met either of the girls and they are the first grandchildren on his side. We will also be reuniting with Mohamed's father- Mohamed hasn't seen him in 9 years and I have never met him.

In addition to excitement about seeing Mohamed's family- I am looking forward to traveling, in general. I love everything about traveling- the airports, the airplane food, the endless flow of diet coke, the airplane movies, the people from all over the world. Airports are the best place for people watching. And Morocco is such a beautiful, mysterious place to be traveling to. I look forward to the piles of vegetable-topped couscous, the enormous marketplaces selling everything from women's underwear to bright yellow pottery. They have a market there that is famous for its orange juice- several dozen vendors sell freshly squeezed orange juice for around a nickel a glass. I can't wait for Amira to learn about the world her dad grew up in- to learn about that part of who she is. We may never want to come home!

So goodbye, friends. Make sure to check the blog around mid-February. I promise to post more pictures than you care to view. Oh, and if you think of it, say a little prayer for a peaceful, uneventful, sleep-filled flight for my little ones :)

2 comments:

Kate said...

Have fun Jami!

amy said...

today was a perfect day to talk to you for five hours but, being as you are Far Away, i had to settle for a second run-through of your blog. sadly, it only made me miss you more. i hope everything in morocco is perfect, which i have every reason to believe it will be, and that you come home soon.